Monday, November 5, 2007

A turn more serious

Well enough... I have been rightly corrected. It's true that I do consider my own brand of Christianity more "mainstream", but I ought to know better from our time on the public debate boards. Perhaps it might be said that my brand of Christianity is mainstream fundamentalism? (grin). At any rate, I think that A, B, C is a simple way to remember the road to salvation - but no, I'd never been specifically taught that. Yes, I do believe in salvation by faith, one acceptance, belief, and confession serving for all time... but I also believe that a true Christian is shown by the fruits of the spirit, "By their fruits shall ye know them". Mouthing the words, "I accept" is something entirely different from accepting with your whole heart and putting your entire hope of salvation on the blood of our Savior. That was all the thief on the cross did - put his entire hope on his belief that Jesus could and would save him from Hell. And should I be greeted at the gates of Heaven by the question, "By what right are you here?" my answer shall be, "Jesus died for me, I am here by His sacrifice, my name is written in the Lamb's book of life".

I am sadly aware (again, virtue of the old board) that the words "born-again" turn many people off. I wish it were otherwise. We cannot, however, control the actions of all our co-religionists, more's the pity. I would that all of us would shine out with Jesus' light... but such is not to be. We *are* fallen humans, and our Enemy is cheerfully willing to use every weapon to keep souls from grace. The seeds of self-righteousness live in most hearts - and I think that's why evangelicals spend a lot of time saying "Christians aren't perfect - just forgiven." If you've never had someone accuse you of thinking you're better than they are because of your faith, count yourself lucky. I have! And who wants to cut down their co-religionists? There are a few famous fundamentalists that *I* wish would keep their mouths shut, or shut their mouths on certain topics... but who am I to judge their hearts? And sometimes I agree with the core of their message, but NOT the delivery or any of the "outlying" bits. I was reading an article just the other day on the CWA site - great article, except for ONE sentence, but that one sentence would have turned anyone not totally "on their side" off. We are called to speak the truth with love - and that's hard.

Cheap grace - it sounds like an interesting book, and has gone on my Christmas list. :) As for the concept... yes. Our church today is RIFE with hypocrisy and apostasy. It is easy to be saved and then head right to the bar. Do I think it's possible... yes. But eh. A weak yes. Because your fruits show your faith. Can you fall and yet be Christian? Yes. But should you be expected to get back up... eventually? Also yes. 1 Corinthians 3: 11-15 For other foundation can no man lay than is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if any man build upon this foundsation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble; every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved, yet so as by fire. I do like what Dr. McGee says... there'll be some folk in Heaven who smell a bit of smoke from that fire, but they'll still BE there.

I say that partially from personal experience. There were many years when I know that I was a Christian and saved, but I was living in deliberate sin. Do I think that I would have gone to Heaven if I'd died then? Yes. But I'd have had precious little treasure come through the fire with me. Even now, having been surrendered for years, I have to occasionally pull myself back from things that I know are wrong... don't you? That is one of the things I am MOST looking forward to in Heaven - a body without an "old nature", a self that isn't constantly tempted to sin. That is a part of my journey - learning each day to leave my "self" at the altar and obey Christ Jesus. And I become more sensitive to sin the closer I get to Him, the less I am able to tolerate evil in myself. (There is still plenty to go around - icky ew).

As for who you listen to and believe - yes, I am young in this. What I do is very carefully vet who I listen to by first reading their statements of faith and looking carefully at the way they comport themselves (is it Biblical? Are they out for money for themselves or for missions or not really at all?), and then I give them my attention. But I am very well immersed in the Bible, so something that rings false, or doesn't bother to base itself on the Word? No, not going in my brain! My "list" currently is Dr. Stanley, Dr. McGee, and Pastor Mike (my local pastor, and yes he's on the web if you want to give him a listen). Also I am reading through the Bible - four chapters a day plus whatever calls out to me. This is the third? time I've done that, and I expect to continue so long as I'm here. What do you feed yourself with?

All the time I have for now... it's time to kick my slothful self off of my computer chair and off to clean something. :)

No comments: