Thursday, November 15, 2007

Spiritual Accents

No, you haven't scared me off. I have been alternating busy with sick and sick with busy. At the moment I am really, really sick with a migraine.

Hard topics are good. It is good to be challenged and to know why you believe and what you believe so that when others ask you about your beliefs, you can articulate it and anticipate questions that others might have.

We have different views on things and I think a large measure of it has to do with different cultures interpreting Christ through the eyes of their culture. That is what interests me - because no one really knows how differently their culture can cause them to interpret the Bible. It's like a regional accent - each person thinks it is the other person who has the accent. Just like the spoken word, we all have spiritual accents. We just don't realise it.

I think that our spiritual accent can be a good thing and a bad thing. When we are challenged by someone with a different spiritual accent, then, although maybe grumpily, we have to reexamine our own beliefs and see whether they are in tune with what Christ really said, or just a received belief - an accent.

Does that make sense?

Many hugs and now I will go and lie down. Ugh. If they can send a man to the moon, why can't they do head transplants?

Layla