Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Ken and Barbie Preachers

This is going to sound facetious and maybe even rude. It is partly meant in a humorous way but it is serious in the sense that I have noticed this and been wondering about this for a while.

Why do born-again Christians, as they are seen on TV, specifically, people like Jim and Tammy Baker, back in the day, and Joel Osteen and Oral Roberts' son, whatever his name is, all look like Ken and Barbie people? They all look shiny and they have too many teeth. They smile too much. They don't look like real people. What brought this to the front of my mind, from the back of my mind, is that I was just watching on CNN, an interview with Joel Osteen.

There are also many other evangelist types with television shows who have the same, shiny Ken and Barbie look. There's something about that look that makes me not trust. It's like they were all cloned or are pod people or something. This look is not confined to television preachers. This look also seems to be the mainstay of many evangelical preachers in ordinary, non-televised churches.

I was wondering if maybe 'the look' was cultivated to give the impression that they are so totally 'christianized' that they don't have wrinkles, or worries or any of the problems that 'real' people have, being blessed, as they are with an overabundance of prosperity. I would personally not find myself able to attend a church where the pastor didn't look human. I would be assuming a wolf in sheep's clothing - there is something more wolfish than sheepish about the leopard's spots, if I may, for my own amusement, mix my metaphors.

Layla, the apostate ;-)

No comments: