Friday, November 16, 2007

Jesus IS the reason for the season

But I don't think that any Christian I've ever met has chanted it for the benefit of non-believers. (Okay, maaaaybe when they make us cranky by taking away the city nativity displays or suchlike).

That quote, and the odds and ends that American Christians get up to (like making a birthday cake on Christmas for Him) to bring more Christ into Christmas, are, I think, for our own benefit. It is terribly difficult to live in this secular, commercial society, and hold on to the religious meaning of Christmas. I don't know what the difference is living in rural (?) Canada without kids vs. living in suburban America with kids... but I know I constantly feel the pressure to do more stuff for the holidays - and it's secular stuff. Bad stuff? No way! But secular.

I think what folks are trying to do is remind themselves (and their kids) that the holiday is not about the gifts, not about snowmen, not about any of that... that it's about our Lord coming to be born.

Thanksgiving is probably the closest thing Americans have to a non-denominational religious holiday. We are encouraged to think about the things we have to be thankful for, to spend time with our families, to consider our nation's past. It's a very special time for most of us, I think. And well it should be! I heartily resent it being almost the "rest day" before turbo-Christmas shopping begins, as well as some of the big stores being open that afternoon. I guess you can't SELL gratitude... :(

Your Christmases as a child sound wonderful! :)

Hugs and hope you're feeling well today.