Friday, November 9, 2007

Brad's just not my type

I want to make a really good defense of "Once Saved, Always Saved", but that will have to wait. Instead I'd like to clarify and expand my remarks on the subject, and do a bit of waffling.

First, the Waffling: I think it may be possible, after the age of accountability, to deliberately lay aside your salvation. Not to be immoral and forget God, but to truly, consciously, declare before Heaven and Earth that there is no God and no salvation and no Heaven. If there is any loss of salvation... and I'm not sure there is... I think that's what it would take. A reverse confession, an apostasy.

Second, the personal expansion/discussion: Yes, I believe I was saved, even when I was "living in sin". Because it hurt. I'd get conviction on it nearly constantly, and several times got to the point of stopping, but then turned right around to dive in again. And then later in life, I paid (have paid, am paying) for the sinful choices I made then. Doctrine amongst the OSAS folks about Christians who sin? We'll feel conviction, and our Father will take us to the woodshed. (He punishes "sons" not strangers). So yes, I still think I was saved. I think I would have been TERRIBLY embarrassed to go before my Maker at that time, but saved? Yes.

Now, would I have made other choices if I thought that my choices would have brought hellfire? That's a good question. I remember making that choice... I remember having to back away from the Spirit to do it. (It took me the better part of a year). I don't know, Layla. I think there's a good chance I'd have decided NOT to believe in God instead. After all, thoughts are sins - and I'd certainly entertained impure thoughts for years before that became a habit in the flesh as well.

I think that's the thing about OSAS. It reflects salvation by grace rather than works. Once you're under Grace, your works are to please Him, not to keep you out of Hell. And before you enter into Grace... it doesn't matter anyway, because no one can be pure enough to stay out of Hell on their own. So - once you accept Jesus, you're in His hands.

The "not really" Christians. Oh, there are PLENTY of folks who go to church who've never said the most cursory salvation prayer. Did I tell you about my friend, Lady D, who went off to the Bible Belt and started going to a church... found women 60 years old who didn't know how to look things up in their Bibles? Women who'd been churched, in evangelical churches, all their lives? They'd CARRIED their Bibles every Sunday for decades, but hardly opened them. That's what I mean. Folks who have never seen Christ for the church. Very likely the practice of making it an adult conversion keeps things fresher for Mennonites. Those are people who will cry, "Lord, Lord" but have never introduced themselves to Him, no matter how many church suppers they've been to. (And plenty of them are preachers).

Am lol'ing at you and the flower child thing. I knew we were friends for a reason! I wanted to start a polyamorous commune for a while. :) Never happened, thank the Lord... but that's me.

Likewise, the mean girls - had an assortment of them in 6th-8th grade. Dreadful. But I don't think that reflects anything but the sinful spirit of the moment, rather than their true hearts. Some of those girls grew out of that and love the Lord now. Some of them are likely just the same. Why, there was a girl who walked up and slapped me for looking at her in Jr. High... she's saved now.

And you can always try going back to the store. It's happened to me. If you go find that checker and ask if she had some things left over - likely a bag didn't get into your cart. Happens often enough. The person after you probably got your stuff. Will they give you more stuff or a refund? No clue!

Hope your day is good... :)