Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Advent calendars and Birthday cake

I like the concept of lighting candles, one each day before Christmas, to "count down". I'd probably not do the "one each Sunday" simply because I don't decorate for Christmas until mid-month (a rebel to the core, that's me).

While Advent has never been part of my Christmas celebration, I have gotten a new advent calendar almost every year of my life... my birthday is December 1! I've had the kind with pictures, the kind with chocolate, and have three or four in my Christmas decor that are filled with ornaments either for the tree or for the calendar itself. I've never particularly associated it with the religious aspect of anticipating the coming of the King, it's always been a "countdown to Christmas".

I might actually have TIME to spend working on the "feeling" of Christmas this year, so any ideas you have are most welcome. My son is old enough to really get and enjoy the season, and my daughter is always up for anything sparkly (they have both been commenting on the tinsel garland decorating the apartments near his school).

Jesus' birthday cake: Yes, people do it so their kids get that it's a birthday. I would like to go to someone's house who does that and see how they work it. I can't imagine having a cake on top of all the cookies and candy. In fact, the one year I made a birthday cake for my grandmother (whose bday was the day after Christmas) it was sugar overkill. (She appreciated it though, she was 70something at that point and it was her first bday cake). I would rather just stick to the "we give gifts because God gave us Jesus", which is what I grew up with too.

Onward... do you do New Year's Resolutions? Do you have a spiritual resolution?

No comments: