Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Baptism etc, scattered thoughts

I have always taken Matthew 7:21-22 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? to be about those who think they're Christians because their parents were Christian and because they go to a Christian church, but have no personal relationship with Christ. Those who rely on "religion" and leave out Jesus. I maintain that you can walk away from Christ and still be saved - but I know that it hurts. How to tell if someone is really a Christian or not? You have to look for fruit. If there isn't any... the best guess is "non-Christian", but only our Lord can judge hearts.
...
Following Christ is hard. There's nothing anywhere in the Bible that says it will be easy. The prosperity preachers have been and always will be popular... but are they going to show up in heaven smelling smoky? People *want* to hear that if you do x, y, z you'll not only go to Heaven but have a great life down here on earth. You can always make money selling people dreams... but "God is not mocked. Whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap." Jim Bakker did jail time, God didn't let him off with leading astray the faithful! We live in a fallen culture - and that culture is insidious. I really do see the value in living apart, as some Mennonites/Amish do. Being called to live in the land of shiny people and not incorporate those values is incredibly difficult. Why be surprised that not only do we have preachers preaching "shiny" but that they get lots of press and popularity?
....
I like your thoughts on baptism as hope, but as a properly raised Baptist I've always thought of it as a symbol of commitment to the faith, much like the Mennonites do it. (There are differences, we are encouraged to be baptised soon after we are saved, it's a public declaration, and there aren't really age-limits. Myself, I was baptised at 6 after strenuous examination by my pastor making sure I knew what I was about with salvation and all).

Samson and dedication of children... I've been interested in how the Bible claims the first born for God - not as a human sacrifice, but as a "belonging to". I think we can dedicate things to Him, and children (to some extent) although that is indeed a "hope". I don't think that's like baptism though... except maybe for infant baptism. I'd NEVER dis someone for baptising their baby, even if I don't think it serves as anything but a hope... I have children of my own that are too young yet to choose, though the elder has begun to love Jesus. (For the audience if any, they're 7 and 3 - and yes, I did say I was saved at 5, but I remember the day I "got it" - that light hasn't clicked on for him yet).
....
I had some thoughts related primarily to my personal experience that dovetailed the forgiveness expected of Mennonites (which, btw, I think shows some of the finest Christian example that there is) and the cheap grace that we discussed a day or so ago. I think we have to be willing to feel the pain of the slap on the face in order to have the turning of the other cheek mean much. (It still means something - it shows the will to follow). How do you balance that in your life? How do you feel the hurt, the anger, etc etc... and not *live* there?

Apologies for such a scattered post. I keep trying to get it to mesh, but it's not happening, and I wanted to get it out there for response.

No comments: